Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1Up 2KCBWDay 2

Day Two: 29th March. Skill + 1UP Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year? .
Greatest skill learned over the course of a year in my knitting? SOCKS! If you've read this blog you know that I was vocal about my dislike of sock knitting. I've always liked socks, just not knitting them. Then I discovered knitting socks with two circular needles. I was sold. I am sold. More socks are planned!
.
Of the pair of socks that I knit for mom (the blue and white pair), the first one was knit over a year ago (quite possibly two) on DPNs and I fiddled and fidgeted and fudged with them. My fingers cramped, my head ached, my eyes went bleary. I didn't get second sockitis, it was just plain old sockitis.
Didn't want to knit the other because I so had not enjoyed knitting the first. Watching the yarn evolve into stripes was great fun, but that was it for me. Despite this dislike, I continued to acquire sock yarn for my stash. Didn't use it, just collected it.
After viewing Cat Bordhi's youtube video on knitting with two circulars, I gave it a spin and there you have it folks, I now enjoy knitting socks.
Not only do I enjoy it, I am actively planning to cast on another pair shortly!
There are other skills I've picked up and knitted along the way, of course, it's natural in the world of knitting to acquire new skills. A few extra of note (to myself, if none other) would be shaping for my body, eyeballing patterns for my body and not just how it looks on the model, knitting top down sweaters and changing a pattern from flat to knit in the round.
.
This post is part of the 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. If you are interested in reading others' posts on the same topic, google 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week.

3 comments:

  1. I'm kinda nervous about starting socks. XD I'm glad you ended up liking it though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also started socks this past year. I only have one pair under my belt so far, but considering the fact that I was super anti-sock knitting, it's a good step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks really cool. I thin I'd like to try learning socks on two circulars.

    ReplyDelete